If you are looking to change your career, then it is essential to write an engaging CV to demonstrate your transferable skillset. A well-written CV is the first step in getting noticed and getting that all-important interview.
Here are some great tips on how to write a CV for a career change:
1. Tailor your CV for your new career
If possible, include examples of projects or tasks that really demonstrate your relevant skills and abilities and make it clear from the introduction and throughout. For example, if you managed a team of people successfully then include a testimonial from someone who worked under you at that time; this can be especially useful if they are still working there now!
2. Use keywords from the job description Use the job description as a guide. Take the time to read through the job description and focus on the skills and experience they are asking for. This will help you tailor your CV so that it is relevant to the role.
3. Include relevant experience Showcase examples of any relevant experience in your cover letter and ensure you use a section to highlight these under 'relevant experience'.
4. Showcase your transferable skillset Showcase your skillset. Focus on highlighting key skills that align with what is asked for in the job description, such as customer service, communication, teamwork, leadership and problem-solving abilities.
5. Honesty is the best policy
Be honest about your strengths and weaknesses. You should always be honest when writing a CV because this will help potential employers understand where you fit into their company culture. Demonstrate how you can overcome any weaknesses with examples of how you have done this in previous roles or volunteer work.
So there you have it, some great tips for creating your CV for a career change. Don’t forget that the key to a successful CV is to showcase your strengths and transferable skills in a way that suits your industry – but you know that anyway right! If you find yourself struggling to get started with your application then remember the advice in this post, it should help you refine your strategy and make job applications an easier task. Alternatively, you can always enquire on any of our services and we could enhance your chances even further. Simply select our contact us page to get started.